5 Things Antioxidants Do For Your Body
An antioxidant is a chemical compound that the body uses to defend against the effects of free radicals. Free radicals are damaging to the cellular system and can attribute to cancer, heart disease, and other medical conditions. There are many things antioxidants can do for your body, let’s take a closer look.
- Skin Health Benefits – Antioxidants are able to slow some signs of aging by minimizing wrinkles in the skin and preserving skin texture. Some research also suggests that through the use of antioxidant supplements you can help protect your skin from sun damage, and reduce the chances of sunburns.
- Eye Health Benefits – Antioxidants are very good for the health of your eyes. Research suggests that antioxidants may be critical in helping to preserve your vision, helping to protect against age related macular degeneration, and helping to prevent against cataracts as well.
- Immune System Support Benefits – Your immune system is important. It’s not just there to fend off the simple cold or flu that tries to enter your system – but some of your immune cells are out to seek out and destroy cancer cells. It’s better to boost your immune system and keep it working top notch all the time. As you get older your immune system doesn’t work as well, as it has been the victim of free radical damage. One of the easiest ways to boost your immune system is by taking antioxidants which are known free radical fighters.
- Heart Health Benefits – Antioxidants help keep your LDL cholesterol from getting worse. If your cholesterol becomes oxidized or attacked by free radicals, it is more than likely going to enter the walls of your arteries. Once it starts to accumulate you may have a blockage and have a heart attack. If you get plenty of antioxidants, your risk of heart disease will lower.
- Help With Workouts – The use of antioxidants can help to lower the free radical damage that may occur during aerobic exercise or weight lifting. It can also lower the continuing damage to tissues that are injured caused by free radicals, which accelerates healing.
There are different antioxidants that can help you boost your health such as Vitamin C, Vitamin E, Alpha Lipoic Acid (ALA), and Coenzyme Q10 to name a few. You are able to get antioxidants in different forms – through diet and nutritional supplementation. Through various fruits and vegetables, you can reap the great benefits of antioxidants as well as various other nutritional benefits. Though, some may find that nutritional supplementation may be the easier route for them. Not to say that you should stop eating healthy! Some just find that the supplements are an easy way to monitor the amount of antioxidants they are getting.